Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Schizophrenia Of Losing One's Faith

The old religious person in you dies, causing discomfort for the person, or even to more than one of the people inside of you, who has a dying individual inside himself/themselves.
Religion is an enormously powerful, well-adapted memeplex (combination of self-perpetuating ideas, habits, imitations, compulsions, social customs and expectations), and it, being enormously powerful and encompassing of the identity to which religion so expertly attaches itself, was very difficult to extricate. When one does, a great part of one's identity dies, and another is born; I'm just glad I managed to do it sooner rather than later, so that I developed a much stronger identity than that of belonging to this or that religion/tribe, dependent on just another person, or in this case, non-entity, for my fulfillment and to govern my thought.

No comments: