Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Simple Things

I’m enjoying the simple things in life more:
-- The street-sign “Form One Lane” which always gets turned in to “Form One Planet” by hooligans. The efforts of the council to remove this graffiti, and the significantly more efficient response by the hooligans, who re-graffiti it.
Generally, I despite graffiti artists who fuck up trains, their own and other's neighborhoods. But the person who says that all graffiti is disgusting is lacking something too.
-- Me and some random girl rushing from the ticket counter at Central, to make the train back to Gordon, just making it on to the train as the doors closed.
Me saying to her “We made it!!” with a big grin, and receiving one back.

3 comments:

Nivi said...

Hi...

Accidentally visited your page, but I should say that I really enjoyed reading all your posts...

Eastcoastdweller said...

I absolutely agree with you on this one.

A few years ago, they flattened a beautiful forested area near where I live to create an unnecessary new highway interchange.

Some youthful free spirit spraypainted a daisy and a girl's name on the ugly, new, stark concrete overpass. I don't know whether it was the girl herself or a youthful admirer.

But until the highway department blasted it off, I enjoyed looking at it every time that I passed.

The overpass, IMHO, was the true graffiti in this case.

m377y said...

I'm glad you're appreciating the simpler things in life.

It's really easy to take alot of things for granted. But every so often, just waking up in the morning and taking that first deep breath and bridging that transition from sleep and wakefulness and hearing rain on your window, is a beautifulbeautiful thing. :)

Heck, taking a walk is fantastic.

As for graffiti, there's this self-egotism there, to mark one's coming and going, a declaration of: "I was here!"

Just on the side, there are some buildings in paddington/along oxford street which have pretty cool graffiti 'art' and at the graffiti tunnel at Sydney Uni as well.