Thursday, May 3, 2007

Annabel and Feminism

For all those guys out there who think taht they're really, really secure:

I had to admit, when I first heard about it a few years ago, knowing that Annabel Chong had been screwed by 251 guys in 6 hours made me a little uncomfortable.
This Annabel Chong is no Sex and the City character.
Annabel proves that a woman can really pursue as much sex as she wants, as indiscriminantly, aggressively and as dangerously (that not good!) as she liked. Without deference to the demands of her family, and challenging any future boyfriend to rise, to be secure enough to want somebody of such a high profile, criticised everywhere in Singapore as the "world's biggest whore".
Thinking about it, I think Annabel really makes her point. She'd say that SHE 'screwed' all those guys, that they didn't screw her (consider the modern connotations of the word 'screwed'). And all those who watched some segment of the film and couldn't believe their eyes.
Her act, which has been called a great many different things, certainly makes guys who claim to stand behind women in their goals to realise total equality (but who really are a little uncomfortable with this) re-examine their 'neutralised' attitudes and opinions on such matters. I have done so, but it's harder than many think. It can't be done, you know, at the drop of a hat.

On a side note. I found out some of my friend's dads weren't actually so much the womanisers that they so proudly claim to be. Many of these guys, who grew up in the conservative South Africa of the 1960's have only slept with their wives (unless they have had affairs, of course).
And as for some of these guy's choices of woman - I love some of these mothers, but many of them aren't the intellectual equals of those men (and vice-versa). Many men and women have chosen an intellectual inferior - someone who will submit to their superior intelligence. I know I'm getting in to deep water here, criticising personal tastes. However, I can't pretend that I don't have a little contempt for this.
Men, even if you like a submissive girl in bed, why is it that you don't search for an intellectual equal? Is it really that satisfying to have somebody let you do their thinking for them?
Where does everyone get their kicks from?

No comments: