Saturday, August 11, 2007

God as parenting authority

People often like to invoke the concept of a God to reinforce the virtues of obedience to blind authority.

For example, some priests, due to ideological reasons, would rather not supply condoms to African populations to protect against AIDS infection.

When they say that God is punishing those that come down with AIDS, this is what they're saying:

"I want only the obedient individuals who submit to my perception of my God's demand for abstinence to survive. I would rather the obvious solution (condoms), which allows promiscuity and is effective protection against AIDS not exist. I'd prefer to kill off those promiscuous ones, to punish them on behalf of my God, because I desire to live in a society which does not tolerate maximal sexual freedom for humans"

There are parents, too, who'd prefer to see their child come to serious harm in order for their child to learn some ideological 'lesson' rather than to just take measures to prevent that child being harmed

3 comments:

Eastcoastdweller said...

But to a believer, there are "harms" much greater than physical suffering.

If you truly believed that your child would roast forever in the flames of hell for committing such and such a sin, wouldn't you do anything you could to prevent them committing such a sin?

Not saying I believe in such a hell.

Unknown said...

World Youth Day's here next year, maybe we can organise u a meeting with the Pope?!

Lance Abel said...

haha, that'd be awesome. But I'd have to repeat myself all the time. That guy's hard of hearing. And when he hears me, he'll have walls in his head anyway.