Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Weirdness Of Dreams

I used to keep a dream diary. Just read some old ones.
Ah, the weirdness of dreams

3/6/03: I am on ski trip, although I resemble myself now, not as I looked on ski trip. Andrew, the excitable “Jumbaroo Fun and Games” camp leader is behaving strangely. He approaches me slowly with an increasingly insane, deeply upset look on his face. I suddenly become aware that I am desperately close to the edge of a massive cliff. I actually pause momentarily to consider why we’re situated here…is today abseiling? His continuing approach forces me to disregard the circumstances, at least temporarily, and return to the reality of the situation. I become angry. Angry at the inattention I have just paid toward the urgent danger that he poses to my safety. In those seconds in which I had stopped to contemplate, he could’ve done anything. I tense myself, facing him. He cannot verbalise the reason for his state of distress. His jaw moves erratically, but only squeaks come out. People crowd around us, in a circle. They seem to be analysing my movements, rather than enquiring about what is wrong, or attempting to resolve the dangerous situation. My perception is that the overwhelming ‘opinion’ of the crowd is against me. I cannot qualify this opinion. Surely, I’m not responsible for Andrew’s frenzied state! I stare at him straight in the eyes, and then effortlessly toss him over the vertical cliff. He seemed to be weightless; my impression was that he was a bag of hot air. While in the air, he twists around. As he disappears, his body shape suggests he is meditating. He reminds me of a Buddhist monk. Why is he so calm, as he hurtles down?

6/8/03: I am at a concert of some kind..possibly Metallica as I recently bought a ticket off eBay (real life). The people who accompany me are the most unlikely Metallica fans; Terry, Dani, Danny. There is a metal framework stretching up high in to the sky (in an Eiffel Tower like fashion). All those at the concert are tugging on to the tower, however with no apparent fright of the fall that might occur at any moment. There is a pool below, but it would not provide safety as it is full of people. People are playing volleyball from ‘floor to floor’ on this metal tower. The smell of chlorine and summer warmth seems to be everywhere. Water seems to be streaming down from the top…..I adventure to the top and find that there is ANOTHER POOL at the top…I go up, and open a door through which I climb in to it…water does not come down on me as I open this trapdoor. At the top, is a “private party”, many of the girls are topless. I am glad to be at this party. Wakes up.

Weird indeed. I accept that some dreams give us insights in to our subconscious thoughts, but most of them are just random thoughts swirling around.

1 comment:

Eastcoastdweller said...

Random indeed. My last dream featured myself and a bunch of other people calmly walking around the city in nothing but bath towels.